How I Conceived For My Father


"Mum, is there no link on how I can trace my father's family?" I asked my mum. "It's quite unfortunate that your father died when you were born. I've told you severally that he was making arrangements to introduce me to his people when the cold hands of death snatched him from me," my mum told me. "Does it mean that while you were together, you never met any of his people?" I asked. "How many times do you want me to keep telling you that we were both students and when the pregnancy was obvious,  my father threw me out of the house, and I had to put up with him? He concluded to take me to his people after delivery, but the sad news came to me while I was in the hospital to put to bed. He had a ghastly car accident on his way to see his people get some money for your delivery," tears streamed from my eyes as I felt the sacrifice my dad tried to make on my head but ended up dying. 

"It was my parents who later rescued me from the hospital when they found out that I was stranded. They settled the bills and took us home. Since then, I've been striving and struggling to take care of you, thanks to grandma and grandpa who were so supportive as well," my mum said emotionally.  

I was deeply buried in thoughts, "Mum, why am I not a fortunate child? Why did my father die during my birth?" Is there no picture of him to even see what he looks like?" I asked trying to control my tears.  "I used to have them but I lost them when arm robbers attacked and went with one of my boxes that contained the pictures and other valuables," she paused then said "Brenda, try as much to take your mind off it and be happy in life. Be happy that you have a caring mother by your side," she told me. 

I tried to conceal my emotions but deep down there I had a lot of questions begging for answers. "Mum,  can I ask you one last question?"  "Yes, go ahead, I'm all ears," she said.  "Mum, so when I'm getting married, is it grandpa that will represent my father, right?" I asked. "Oh yes and don't ever forget what I've been telling you concerning where not to marry from.  Our tradition forbids us to marry from the Bokoso part of the Country. It is seen as a  taboo, and one is considered an outcast, so don't ever cross-part with a Bokoso man," she said.  "Mum, for how long will you keep telling me this?" I know and I can't date a man from there, "I told her. "Good, it is just a reminder," said my mum. 

All these took place 7 years ago. Now,  I'm a grown-up lady. I've been so happy with how God favored me in my career. From one promotion to another, but no man to call my own. I was promoted and transferred to Bokoso part of the country. As I wanted to go, my mum called me, sat me down, and reminded me of the tradition against the Bokoso people and I assured her that I won't break it. 

A few days later, I was in Bokoso. It was a nice settlement where the elites put up. My company got my apartment fully furnished and attached an official car with a driver assigned to me, but in all, I had no joy. I felt so empty and lonely each time I returned from work and entered my cozy apartment. I knew that I needed a companion. I needed a man to talk with, laugh and play with. It is not as if I was not seeing men, but the majority of the pleasant and sincere ones that approached me were from Bokoso. 

One day in my office, I disclosed it to one of my colleagues who was like a sister to me. "Brenda,  you're too enlightened to believe in such barbaric tales. This is a digital world and gone are those days our parents would decide whom and where we should marry. These Bokoso men are good and harmless, so free your mind from such a cruel tradition and grab one guy for yourself," she said. I sat down staring at her speechlessly.

Back home, while in bed and feeling so lonely as usual, I thought over the conversation I had with my colleague in the office over my mum's tradition against the Bokosa people. "But why should I follow my mum's tradition? I'm from my father's side, not hers. Is it because my father isn't alive and my mum wants to drag me into partaking in her father's cruel tradition? No, she needs not push me in there. I'm not getting younger and I need a man. As I was still in thought, my phone rang beside me, t was from one of the men who was asking me out, a man from Bosoko. I finally agreed to meet with him the next day. 


Meeting Edwin was like meeting a friend we've known for ages. We had a strong mutual affection for each other. He showered me with love and before I knew it I began to build my world around him. A morning without Edwin's voice was like a morning without breakfast, and at night before going to bed without his voice was like going to bed to face nightmares. His voice was food for my soul, a voice that radiated through my heart and I wanted more and more. Edwin introduced me to his mother and I saw a mother-daughter relationship in her as we were best friends. She tried to get to know my parents, but I kept her posted because I knew my mother was totally against my association with the Bokoso people.

6 months into the relationship I conceived for Edwin. "It's an high time I got to know your people, so stop cajoling me every time I ask you to take me to them. Baby, don't you want to get married or don't you love me?" asked Edwin. “You know how much I love you, but my mother is so fanatic about her religious doctrine. She is against premarital sex, let alone knowing that I am expecting your child." I told him.
"To get her consent, she must not know that you are pregnant, good enough it is not obvious as it is at the early stage. We need to meet her urgently to meet with your grandfather since your father is late. Baby, I promise you that within a space of three months, I'll conclude your marital rites," he told me. 

Taking Edwin to my mum will bring an end to my relationship, so why can't I ask him to wait until when I deliver,  by then I will be grounded with my child, and if she still wants to stick to that their nasty tradition, I'll just walk away with Edwin to the court and get my marriage done. Nobody can suppress my happiness. I kept talking to myself and a few days later I told Edwin that if truly he wants me to be part of his life, he should exercise a little patience for me to put to bed, then we move to see my people. He didn't argue anymore, "if that will make you happy, then I'm okay with it," he told me. 

"Brenda,  are you aware that I'm your mother?" my mum called on the phone one early morning.  "Mum, you know that I'm your daughter as well,  hope all is well as you're sounding so indifferent this early morning?" I asked her.  "I should rather be the one asking you if all is well with you. When last did you visit your mother or have you forgotten that you have a mother? I can remember when you used to visit every month end, but for about 5  months now you haven't visited," she said but I interrupted her,  "mum, you need not be worried. My work schedule is very tight these days, but I promise you that I'll spend this Christmas with you, also I'm coming with a big package for you," I tried to get her excited.   "Wow! That is when you are talking like my daughter, in that case, let me end the call so that you can get prepared for work, don't forget your promise,"  "I won't mum,"   "Okay, I love you bye for now," said my mum.  "I love you too, bye," and as I ended the call my conscience began to prick me for the package I told her on phone. I know I've betrayed her but it's not my fault. Bokoso is where love met me and I met love as well. 

Edwin's mum was my second mother. She visited me frequently to ensure I wasn't stressing about the pregnancy.  The scan showed that I was carrying twins; a male and a female. I kept monitoring the prenatal process and finally, labor day arrived, and I had a smooth delivery to the amazement of the Doctors and nurses who were around me. My joy knew no bounds as I put to bed a bouncing boy and a girl.  Edwin threw a lavish party for the arrival of his twins the next day as I was discharged from the hospital. 

Life was extremely blissful with Edwin. Through him, I got to know what it means to love and to be loved.  December was fast approaching,  so I got prepared with Edwin to meet with my mum and my people. My mum will be so happy to see her first grandchildren, I told myself. 

A week later, we traveled to my place. If I had known I would have traveled alone with my babies and their father, but my colleague in the office who was like a sister to me offered to join and i agreed. 

We arrived at my mum's place and instead of my mum welcoming us and receiving her grandchildren,  she was rather so uncomfortable staring at Edwin as if he was a ghost.  "Sorry mum,  I ought to have introduced our visitors to you," I said as she interrupted me. "Brenda,  can I see you shortly in my room now?" My mum said as she made way to her room and I followed her behind. She didn't even allow me to sit down when she asked, "Brenda,  who is that man and the babies?"  "The babies are mine and the man is their father. Mum, before now,"   "Excuse me, you mean you were pregnant all these while yet you kept it from me?" she thundered at me. "Mum, please allow me to explain,"  I told her but she interrupted again, "shut up! Explain what? Don't tell me that the man is from Bokoso, the reason you've been avoiding me all this while. Come,  what is his name? Is he Edwin?" she asked me with a pale voice.  "Yes,  that is his name, mum, do you know him," I asked my mum curiously.  "This girl has finished me," She said as she got up and sped to the sitting room where we had our guests. 

"Do you know me?"  she confronted Edwin and he began to stutter. "Your face appears familiar and I've been trying to recollect where we must have met," he told her. “Edwin is your name and when you were in college, your friends called you Eddyboy. You had a girlfriend named Sonia,” my mother said. Edwin turned and looked at me, then looked at my mother, "no, no, it can't be," Edwin said, holding his head. My mother growled at him, "It's the same Sonia that is speaking to you, the Sonia you left when she told you she was pregnant, and here is your daughter Brenda who you got pregnant and you are here to ask for her hand in marriage," "What's going on here? But mum, you've been telling me my dad died during my delivery," I said with tears in my eyes. "Of course, he died a long time ago in my life when he dumped us," my mother said. “Mum, why do you ruin my life? You ought to have told me the truth before now” I told my mom and before I knew it, my mom landed a heavy slap on Edwin in the face. "You ruined my life and you chose to ruin my daughter and your daughter's life too, my mum cried out as she kept hitting him and he took to his heels. 

What a shame! My colleague in the office has witnessed everything. I sought love and this is the result of my love. Who has ruined my life? My mum or my father? 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post