Should I resign for my wife? We happened to work in the same organization before our marriage and her salary is better than mine. Now, one person is asked to resign, should I?

First, we have to commend you for the love you have for your wife. Nice to hear that you guys found love while working in the same organization. 


Concerning your question; I know some people may find this answer so awkward, but the honest answer is No! 
A man was meant to be in charge, to be the head right? Husbands are considered the breadwinner, so a husband is expected to demonstrate his full responsibility as a father and husband to his family. To display your responsibility, you need to take care of your family's well-being, and you can only do this if you have a source of economic income. A man who takes care of his family is considered a caring and responsible husband/father. It's not that your wife won't support you, she won't take your honorable position as the boss. 


Now let's look at this critically, we have couples around us. The husband works while the wife doesn't, she's a full-time housewife according to society. Although society frowns at her career status, some see it as a decision made by the husband. If he takes care of his family, nobody will question his authority, but if the reverse was the case, whereby the husband stayed at home while the wife worked, society will descend heavily on her for having to accommodate, feed, and take care of a golddigger or a lazy man. Yes! That is how they will put it. 


Let me tell you, the moment you resign for your wife, mark it that you have sold out your value, your voice, your echo, and your worth to not only society but your wife. Your dignity is gone! No matter how your wife may back you up initially, as time goes on, she will get fade up. Do not try to make decisions with the money she works for, because that is when you will realize that you lost your voice and headship long ago. I will advise, she steps down while you continue. With love, your salary will go a long way if there is an understanding between you guys. Also, she can be fortunate to grab something meager just to hold on to while waiting for something substantial. 


Let me share a short story with you; Edwin and Nancy were happily married. Three years later, budget cuts occurred in Edwin's organization and many people were affected including Edwin. Edwin saw himself at home as he was dismissed. His working wife Nancy was so concerned about him that she did her best to support the family with her monthly income. She went as far as reimbursing her husband's pocket on monthly basis, but things changed when Edwin's mother fell ill and Edwin sent support to his sick mother. "So this is how you've decided to waste my money,"  said Nancy.  "No baby, it's for my mother's treatment. You know she's been ill for a long time," Edwin said. "Why didn't you tell her that you don't have the money? This is exactly what you did last month your friends visited, you served them my food, and you wasted my hard-earned money. I wear the shoes so I know how it hurts!" She growled. "Yes, I told my mother that I don't have. She knows already that I'm currently not working so I told her that you sent the money, and she was so delighted, she sent her regards to you. Concerning my friends, they came while I was eating so I asked them to join me," Edwin tried to explain. "I don't have interest in your mother's greetings, my interest is in the money that I work for, my hard-earned money,"  she fired back at him. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to put you through all this. My friends have assured me to expect my appointment soon from the last place they helped me submit my document, so hopefully, I'll spring back," he told her. "You better!" she said and walked away. 


Days later, Nancy changed. She complained before she foots any bills, and she ceased her monthly allowance to her husband. One day She returned from the office, "I don't understand what you are doing in the kitchen now, what were you doing since afternoon?" she asked him. "Good news is loading, you know what? I was invited for an urgent job interview this afternoon," he told her happily. "I'm hungry, please be fast with the food," she said and walked away. Fortunately, Edwin received an appointment letter a week later and resumed work. 


What have you learned from this story? Talk to your wife to resign for you as the husband and the man in charge! There is nothing as sweet as love and understanding in a relationship. When you guys come to a consensus and she accepts to resign for you, ensure you show her how valued she is in your life. Wish you guys the best. 

You may also like this; 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post